Hellinikon International Airport or Elliniko International Airport was the first airport of the Greek Capital Athens. The construction started in 1938 but due the World War II in 1940, the constructions stopped. Kalamaki airfield was used a a Luftwaffe base that time. In 1969 a second terminal was constructed.
Olympic Airways use the West Terminal. All the other airlines operated though the East Terminal. In 1970s the airport had full capacity and capital needed a bigger , newer airport. The current airport Eleftherios Venizelos was builded in 2001.